SECTION 1 – PURPOSE AND CONTEXT
(1) The purpose of the SITCM Loans Policy is to ensure equity in access to and availability of library collections.
(2) The Reserve Collection is composed of 7 day loan items and 2 hours loan items.
SECTION 2 – POLICY STATEMENT
Part A – Eligibility
(3) The following table identifies those students, staff and other external parties who are eligible to borrow from SITCM.
|Eligible Borrower Categories||Category Definitions||Loan Conditions|
|Students||All currently enrolled SITCM students.||See Relevant Sub-Category.|
|Staff||All currently employed SITCM Staff.||Extended Loans|
|Other||Other parties as approved by the Institute Librarian.||To be advised on approval.|
Part B – Loan Periods, Limits and Renewals
(4) All clients are required to produce a current, valid Library card (student/staff identification card, Library issued borrowers’ card, photo ID) in order to borrow items unless special authorization is granted by the Administration, Librarians. Borrowers’ cards are not transferable and clients are responsible for all items charged against their card. Loss or theft of borrowers’ cards must be reported to the Library immediately.
- A total of 3 items at any one time for Staff
- A total of 2 items at any one time for Students
- Duration of loan period 2 weeks for students and staff
- 2 weeks loan period with 1 optional renewals per item for students and staff
- 7 day loan period with no renewals for 7 day loan items
- 2 Hours loan is any use in the library
- Reference materials and journals are not available for loan
- Late fees apply
(5) All material on loan is subject to recall. Materials will be recalled by Library staff from time to time to meet high demand (e.g. at the request of academic staff for inclusion in Reserve collections).
(6) Recalled items have a shortened loan period of 7 days from date of recall and borrowers are subject to late fees from date of revised (recall) due date.
Part C – Reservations (Holds)
(7) Most items available for loan may be reserved (placed on hold).
(8) Reservation/hold requests are valid for 21 days from the time of request placement.
(9) Items will be held for collection at Library service desks for a maximum of 7 days prior to their return to the collections.
(10) 7 day loan and reference items cannot be reserved.
Part D – Reserve Collections
(11) SITCM library maintains a Reserve Collection for material anticipated to be in high demand. These collections include books and other items from the Library collections, personal copies of academics’ work. All materials placed on reserve are accessible via the Library Catalogue.
(12) The Reserve Collection is composed of 7 day loan items and 2 hours loan items
(13) Material is placed on reserve collections at the request of academic staff, and may remain on reserve for either one or both semesters of a current academic year. The collections are cleared at the conclusion of each academic year.
Part E – Fines and Penalties
(14) Patrons who fail to return items on or before the due date incur late fees and penalties. These fees and penalties are designed to assist students by maximizing access to, and availability of, library materials.
Part F – Overdue items: Suspension of Privileges
(15) Further borrowing privileges are suspended when items on loan are not returned on or before the due date. Borrowing privileges remain suspended and no certificates or transcripts will be issued until all overdue materials are returned and associated late fees discharged.
Part G – Courtesy Notices
(16) Courtesy reminder notice of due materials is sent when item/s are within 2 working days due
(17) One courtesy reminder notice of overdue materials is sent when item/s are within 8 working days overdue
(18) Second courtesy reminder notice of overdue materials is sent when item/s are within 15 working days overdue
(19) A bill for replacement ($100.00 per item or actual cost, whichever is greater), 60 days after the due date.
Part H – Late Fees: Possible Suspension of Privileges
(20) Failure to return a borrowed item on or before the due date or time, or failure to return a recalled item within one week of the recall request will incur a late fee on return of the overdue item(s).
(21) Late fees are levied at the following rates:
- General collection items $1.00 per item per day or part thereof
- 7 day and 2 hours loan items $2.00 per item per day or part thereof
- Recalled items $2.00 per item per day or part thereof
(22) In circumstances where individual borrowers’ owe late fees, borrowing privileges are suspended and no certificates or transcripts will be issued.
(23) Late fees are capped at a maximum amount of $25.00 per item.
Part I – Lost and damaged item charges and penalties
(24) Lost items must be replaced.
(25) A standard fee of $100.00 (minimum) or actual replacement cost per missing item applies. A $25.00 processing charge is levied in addition to the lost item charge.
(26) Lost items may be replaced by clients with an identical copy of same edition of the lost work. Replacing a missing item incurs a processing fee of $25.00.
(27) Lost item fees may, at the discretion of the Librarians be reimbursed should lost items subsequently be found and returned to the Library. In such instances, overdue fees and processing charges are not subject to reimbursement.