The Clinical Practice Program includes aspects of personal and professional development as well as community and research activities. It aims to equip graduates with the abilities to:
Achieve a level of competency required of an entry-level practitioner.
1. Gather, record and analyse clinical information gained by taking an accurate and organised patient case history in conjunction with the conduct a physical examination that is appropriate for the safe, competent and independent practice of acupuncture and/or Chinese herbal medicine;
2. Provide safe and competent manual practice of acupuncture and dispensing of Chinese herbal products.
Provide a wide range of clinical services relevant to the needs of clients.
1. Differentiate syndromes, by evaluating clinical information according to the differential diagnostic system, and link the results of this evaluation to strategies and techniques consistent with Chinese medicine practice;
2. Select in a judicious manner, from a variety of treatment approaches, the appropriate Chinese medicine strategies and techniques to effectively treat a patient’s condition;
3. Monitor the health of a patient by applying relevant assessment procedures and modify treatment accordingly in addition to the implement appropriate first aid measures when a patient displays an adverse reaction to treatment and ensuring prompt transfer to medical services where necessary.
Value and pursue excellence in clinical practice through personal and professional development.
1. Communicate in a sensitive and professional manner with patients and their families, peers, other health professionals, and the public;
2. Manage a private practice and adhere to all statutory requirements 3. particularly in relation to infection control and the usage, prescription and dispensation of therapeutic goods.
Apply informed scholarship to clinical practice.
1. Critically evaluate relevant literature to inform and modify current clinical practice for the benefit of future client/patient healthcare management;
2. Seek out and use resources such as libraries, databases and computer resources to enable independent learning, especially for improving theoretical understanding and clinical practice.